Friday, January 9, 2009

Because I'm a Mother

I have to admit that I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to world politics and events. I'm an avid news watcher, but alot of the world stuff just sort of goes over my head. The conflict in Israel and Gaza is a perfect example. I did some reading on the internet so I could understand it a little better, but it's still pretty hazy. It's easy, I think, to watch the news and see the statistics and think of them as just that, numbers. Especially when the people talked about are so different. Their dress, culture, really, their whole world is so foriegn. But, this morning, as I was looking through the newspaper, I came upon this picture and it stopped me cold.
These are three toddlers, who were killed in Gaza, being carried to their funerals. (Sorry for the morbid picture, but I felt I needed to include it.) 257 children have been killed in this conflict. That's 257 mothers and fathers who are mourning the loss of their babies. I'm not writing about politics, I'm writing about the things that connect us all, like being mothers.
I sit here in my comfy house in Layton, Utah, USA, listening to cartoons that my child watches. I sent my kids off to school an hour ago. They left laughing, dragging backpacks through the new snow. I didn't worry that mortar shells might explode in our neighborhood or at thier school, my biggest concern was that they have gloves and hats on. Now, I'm thinking about the loss of all these parents. I've also seen alot the past few days about John Travolta and Kelly Preston and the loss of their son, Jett. Such a tragic loss.

What I've come to conclude is that it doesn't matter what your circumstances. Whether you wear jeans or a burqa, you live in a modern house or a hut, the feelings we have for our children are the same. Famous movie star in Hollywood or frumpy housewife in Utah, we love our kids and all live with the fear of losing them, and would do anything to keep them safe.
Such an ingenious plan of our Heavenly Father's, isn't it? What better way to teach us to love like He does, than to give us children of our own to love and care for. I think it's so unexpected, the feelings you have. Whether you give birth to your children or adopt them, it's the same. The moment you hold that little baby, you're done. Your heart, your soul, your very life no longer belong to you.
So, I look at these pictures, and can only imagine the pain these parents are going through. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, it can only lessen the sting that endures. You brought this child into the world, and any time here without them would feel a bit hollow. You look forward to the day you see them again, but would ache with each morning you face without their smile. Ok, I'll stop before I start crying again. I just wanted to share my thoughts and ask that we all give an extra prayer for all those mothers and fathers who are mourning today. (And then, give a prayer of gratitude for the little ones who we'll tuck into bed tonight.)
This is a poem I wrote a few years ago for Mother's Day, it seemed appropriate.
My Heart
Five little fingers wrap themselves
around one of mine,
Just as this tiny life has wrapped itself
around my heart.
These little people have come,
One by one,
And taken hold,
Never to let go.
Each one different, beautiful,
They came, little miracles,
And, someday they will go,
But, this heart,
Stretched, tugged and so very full,
Belongs to them,
And will never be mine again.

10 comments:

Deb said...

You have once again given me much to think about. Thank you for sharing your talent. I hope that the frumpy housewife in Utah you mentioned was not referring to you. You are anything but frumpy!

Julie said...

ha, ha. You don't see me in my pj's as I blog!

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful Julie. You made me cry too! Thanks for making me think outside my own little world.

Michelle

meegz said...

yes, I too am grateful for the wake up call. I seem to need them more often than not.

Teddi said...

Lovely!

Lia said...

Wouldn't this world be a better place if we all learned to be empathetic more often. Thanks for the reminder.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tear jerker! No seriously, it's nice to see how EXTREMELY blessed we are! I feel for those people now. Sad to say, I didn't even pay attention before. My heart actually hurts for them.

Anonymous said...

You've given me a lot to think about with my own kids. Sometimes I forget how precious they really are.

Kim said...

thank you..so well put!

Elaine Whiting said...

Even when your children become parents and you can't tuck them in at night, the love and concern is still there. My hear still belongs to my children and now my grandchildren. Each day I thank
Heavenly Father for the easy circumstances I live in. Thanks for you words of wisdom--I've thougt a lot about what you said.