Hunter came in my room this morning, like he does most days. Instead of saying, 'Morning, Mom', he just sat on the edge of my bed, waiting. It took me a minute, then I said, "Happy Birthday, Hunter!" He grinned and went downstairs, happy to know I remembered. Hunter has grown so much, both physically and emotionally. I don't miss the days when he wore the same outfit for months, when he would cry and throw a fit if I changed the furniture, or if we sat on a different bench at church. It's easy for me to think he's just like all the other kids, because he interacts with us at home. Then, I see him at school or scouts and I remember that Autism is still there. His biggest challenge is social. He doesn't play with friends, preferring to play in his own pretend world. This bothers my husband. It doens't bother me as much, because-so far- he doesn't seem to mind not playing with others. He prefers to be alone. Someday that may change.
#332
6 years ago




2 comments:
Happy Birthday Hunter!
I remember substituting Hunter's primary class once, and he did not like the change. I felt so bad for him...he just didn't know how to cope. Eventually, Guy came in and calmed him down. That was really my first experience with Autism, but it gave me an awareness and understanding that I was sorely lacking. Happy Birthday to Hunter!
Post a Comment