Friday, March 14, 2008

My Kingdom for a Good Night's Sleep



I saw a new report the other day that said a new mother in the first year of her baby's life, gets 700 hours of sleep. That averages to 1.91 hours of sleep a night. Of course, that doesn't figure in pregnancy and the wonderful sleep you get with a watermelon attatched to your stomach, or the years afterward when the child learns to crawl out of his crib and come into your bed. So, considering the seven pregnancies, babies and toddlers I have had, I haven't had much sleep in the past 15 years.
This morning, I woke up at about 4:30 am, I knew what time it was because I could hear Guy in the shower. I looked to either side of me and was shocked to find that I was alone. ( My normal night time routine is to have Noah on one side and Max on the other.) I stretched out and enjoyed the feeling. When Guy came out of the bathroom, I asked him if he'd realized we didn't have any kids in bed. He said no. (Not surprising, since he is usually blissfully unaware of my tossing and turning as I have two little bodies alternately kicking and snuggling me. I don't mind that he isn't aware since he's the one getting up at 4:30.) We've been working on getting the two of them to sleep in their beds, but this was a first. I've heard all the strategies, from letting them cry, (difficult when the baby shares a room with his sister) to locking your bedroom door, (yeah, that's what I want, a "Max-Fit" at 1 am). I think we all have to find our own way. I figure that eventually they'll get it, I have 2 teenagers who used to come in, but obviously not anymore. (Tho' Adam, at 6 foot and 170 lbs. thinks it's funny to joke about coming in after a nightmare.)
If I had a kingdom, I don't think I'd really offer it for a night's sleep. If I had a kingdom, I'd also have a castle and I could let them cry, or better yet, they could climb in bed with the nanny. Someday they'll grow up and I'll miss the little people they are, but I won't miss the night time struggle. I'll stretch out, enjoying my big, empty bed, then I'll snuggle up to Guy, and maybe kick him once or twice.

2 comments:

Teddi said...

Yes...oh, yes....nothing like a night of un-interrupted sleep! Bliss, sweet bliss! Nothing can prepare a new parent for the zombiehood to come - ahem...I mean parenthood to come! LOL

Sarah said...

Yeah! Has it happened since?