Thursday, March 20, 2008

Learning to love scouts


So, I was laying in bed the other night, stressing over the stuff I had to prepare for Hunter's Tiger scout meeting and I got the inspiration that it's time I learned to love scouts. Having 6 boys, you'd think I would have already had this 'revelation' but I haven't. I have 4 scouts right now, Adam and Jake are both "first class" in the Boy Scouts, Spencer is a Wolf in the Cubs and Hunter is a Tiger scout (sort of a "pre-scouting" year, not sponsered by the church). I've been the Wolf den leader for about 7 months now and am Hunter's 'partner' in Tiger's. Which means I do scout stuff at least twice a week. I know it's a good program and I'm so grateful we moved into the ward that we did. We live in a ward that loves scouts and works hard to have an excellent scouting program. They believe in 'tenure' in the scouting program, which means I'll be in my calling for at least 3 years. This was a little upsetting to me at first, but I've realized that I can't expect other people to stay a scout leader if I'm not willing to. I do enjoy the boys I work with, even the annoying one ( I won't mention any names, but he's very spoiled- does an 8 year old really need a cell phone, clipped to his belt at all times???). I realize that these boys are future priesthood holders and missionaries. And, their parents are counting on me to be a good leader. So, I'm going to be a good leader. I'll never be the kind that teach at district round table or get really goofy, but I'll be there for them and make sure they have fun.

2 comments:

Kim said...

It's time for a scout cheer!!! Everyone raise your hands above your head and yell...hefty, hefty, hefty!! That happened at the first pack meeting I ever went to...something like that anyway, I remember looking at Mikel Hansen and saying are we on another planet? You are good to try and like scouts...I'm still a sinner in that area~!

Teddi said...

Bless you my child.....for I HAVE SINNED! I have yet to receive my testimony of scouting and have spent many a rant on the evils of scouting! Hence why my calling as scout den leader/mother/scoutmaster/trainer/mother of all WILL be forthcoming! The Lord calls the wicked to repentance! Having grown up in a household with 5 brothers all of whom became eagle scouts after so much begging/pleading/bribing etc etc from my parents and spending way too much time at pack meetings, round tables, etc - it's hard for me to see the light. Especially when there's not a comparable program for the girls. Don't get me started! Excuse me while I trip over my soap box!