Tuesday, January 20, 2009

God Bless America


I love our country. I am eternally grateful for having been born here. I am thankful that we can vote for our laws and leaders. That said, I did not hope for (or vote for) the president who will be taking office today. But, as I've considered this, I realize that there are alot of people in this country who felt the same way when Bush was elected-twice. I like Pres. Bush. He got alot of flack for his speaking and for many of his decisions. Well, I think the fact that he messed up when he spoke made him more real (how many of us could give that many speaches and never mess up?). As for his decisions, he's human. Which of us could profess to be perfect? Of course, his decisions affected much more than ours would, but still.

So, as I've seen my kids react to this change, being very influenced by their peers and thier parents, I think I've done them a disservice. The fact is, Barack Obama is our new president and with that comes all the rights and priviledges of his office, including my loyalty. He hasn't done anything yet, so I have no reason to distrust him. Our country voted and he won. We teach our kids the Articles of Faith, and number 12 says, "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law." Also, I was reading D&C 109 on Sunday. It's the dedicatory prayer for the Kirtland temple. Joseph Smith asked a powerful blessing on this country and it's leaders:

v.54-"Have mercy, O Lord, upon all the nations of the earth; have mercy upon the rulers of our land; may those principles, which were so honorably and nobly defended, namely, the Constitution of our land, by our fathers, be established forever.

v.55-"Remember the kings, the princes, the nobles, and the great ones of the earth, and all the people, and the churches, all the poor, the needy, and afflicted ones of the earth."

I echo this prayer today and add my own. I pray that President Obama will be a good president, led by morals and the influence of the Holy Ghost. I pray that those around him, who counsel him, will also be honest and fair and think of the people of this country, first and foremost. And, I pray that we will remember that we live in the land of promise, that we have cherished blessings promised us if we keep the commandments.

God Bless America

6 comments:

Mandy said...

I was thinking similar things this morning. I also liked Bush. He seems human and good. I didn't want President Obama- but he is president so I just need to swallow it, support him, and pray he'll have moral courage. That's as political as I get :)

Deb said...

Amen! I probably did my kids the same disservice - Jocelyn referrs to President Obama as Barackem Obama, which makes me laugh every time, but I probably should correct her. As for President Bush, many people think that he wasn't very well educated, but he did graduate from Yale...How many of us can say that.

Lara said...

Well said - I enjoyed watching the inauguration today.

Lia said...

I was very touched today when I watched the inauguration. From the opening prayer to the speeches I found myself a little teary eyed. I missed some of the speech (dentist app.) but liked what I heard.
I like Pres. Bush too. I felt bad that people had to attack him the way they did. I believe he's a good man, sincere and real. I trust him more than any smooth talking politician. He did what he thought was right, even if he made some mistakes. But were they all?

Anonymous said...

I have been having the same feeling today. As much as I don't want to, I need to look at Barrack Obama with respect and teach my children the same things.

P.S Olivia is now calling President Obama "Broccoli Obama".

willujfan said...

Very well said. And how many countries in this world are envious of the peaceful transition of power? Unfortunately, there are some countries that go through some sort of civil unrest every time there is a new government or leader. God has definitely blessed the U.S.

BTW, this is Will, Deb's husband.