Yesterday, I had to take Noah out during the sacrament. I wasn't too happy about this, and as soon as we got in the foyer and sat down, he was quiet. I sat there, trying to think 'sacrament' thoughts. I looked at the picture on the wall opposite me. It was of the Savior washing the feet of the disciples. I always start the New Year with hopes of becoming closer to my elder Brother and I know I can best do this by living like He did. So, I studied this picture. I thought that there are alot of things we can learn from the scripture, "After that he poureth water into a bason and began to wash the disciples feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded." (John 13:5) What struck me was that Jesus was willing to do any task to serve, no matter how menial it seemed. The thing is, a task that may seem menial to the person doing it, usually is anything but common to the person on the receiving end. Just imagine how good it would feel, after walking all day on dusty roads with nothing but sandals on, to have someone wash and dry your feet. I pondered this and realized there are a couple ways that this example can be applied to us.
The first is through our callings. Have you ever been called into see a member of the bishopric, and you know you're getting a new calling? Have you ever gone in with a specific call in mind? I have. Trust me, I've never aspired to be Relief Society president or anything like that, but there are a few callings that I think I'd love to do. So, you go in with a hope for something new and challenging and the question comes, "Would you accept a call as a nursery leader? "(or cub scout den leader, Sunbeam teacher, I could go on and on.) And your heart sinks. It's no secret that I wasn't thrilled to be called into cub scouts, though I love it now, it was about the last thing I wanted to do. Sometimes, the calls we get seem routine or boring. But, the Savior taught us that there was nothing below him. The same goes for us. Here's my point, the thing that just hit me between the eyes, the people receiving this service get so much out of it. I can't count how many nursery teachers have taken care of my kids over the years. All so that I could go to my classes or to fill my callings without worrying about my little ones. And all the primary teachers we've had. Every week, as my kids traipse off to Primary and I leave Noah crying in his teacher's arms, these men and women are washing my feet. To them, it may seem like 'just another week' trying to keep the kids quiet and struggling to teach them something. To me, it's an immesurable service. We have incredible scout leaders who take my boys on campouts, all year long. Every time I drop Adam and Jacob off, sunshine or snow, and these men are smiling as if they're happy to be camping in sub-zero temps, they are washing my feet.
The second way that this applies is in service, the 'everyday, gotta go out and find it' kind. We are so unique in that we are encouraged to serve each other. We live in a world where we are told to 'take care of ourselves' and when women (and men) are seen doing so much for so many others, they are told they shouldn't put themselves last. Now, I'm all for taking time for myself and I don't think we should neglect ourselves, so don't get me wrong. Pres. Uchtdorf put it so well, "In today's world of pop pshychology, junk TV, and feel-good self help manuals, this advice may seem counterintuitive. We are sometimes told that the answer to our ills is to look inward, to indulge ourselves, to spend first and pay later, and to satisfy our own desires even at he expense of those around us. While there are times when it is prudent to look first to our own needs, in the long run it doesn't lead to lasting happiness." When the rest of the world (and Oprah) tell us that we should focus on ourselves to feel better, the Lord tells us to focus on others. How many times do you suppose the Savior took a day for himself? Even when He did have time alone, He was praying or fasting. His thoughts were always for others. On the cross, when He was suffering, He prayed for those who had crucified Him, and gave comfort to those who hung next to Him. A loaf of bread, a phone call, a compliment- they're simple and don't seem like much. But, to the receiver, the person who is lonely, depressed or feeling frumpy, you have just washed their feet.
When I got back into sacrament meeting, Bro. Ringler introduced our ward theme for the year, "Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; for the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward." (D&C 58:27-28) I think the Lord was trying to tell me something. I'm grateful, though. I'm grateful to see service in a new light. I'm grateful for the people who wash my feet on a regular basis and look forward to trying to find opportunities to do some feet washing of my own.




8 comments:
Julie..always love your words of wisdome..thank you...you have "washed my feet" on many occasions.
Really great post, Julie!
How is it that you know just what I need to have said to me? I too am extremely grateful especially for the nursery teachers that my kids have had. Thanks for the great post - you have helped me put new perspective on my attitude.
That was a really nice lift for me today-thank you! Angie
Thanks Julie.
and then I ruined it by chatting your ear off the third hour!:)
You amaze me -- and I LOVE that you are great with Cubs -- thanks for making a difference.
Julie,
WOW, it is so great to hear from you. Love your blog. Wonderful post! I will have to check your post once in awhile. I am not a good blogger but it has been a great way to keep in contact with my family. Thanks for contacting me. I hope you and your family are doing well. Maybe one of these days we should do a whole big Doane reunion again. It has been ages since I have seen the cousins.
You're amazing! Thanks for always giving me reminders. Even though you don't know you are.
Post a Comment