Tuesday, May 4, 2010

BYU Women's Conference

I had the fantastic opportunity to go to BYU Women's Conference this year. Now, I'm wondering why I've never gone before. It was AMAZING! I went to great classes where I learned and was truly inspired.

It was wonderful to be among so many other women who all are focused on the gospel and how to improve their lives and testimony. I got to spend some time with women from my ward and even ran into two friends I haven't seen in years.

One of the highlights was hearing from Elder Oaks and his wife Kristen. I'm sure I'm not the only one of the over 15,000 who felt like the messages were just for me.


I participated in two of the service projects. Since I'm not a crochet-er, I couldn't do many of the projects, but I can trace and cut, which I did here to help make procedure dolls for Primary Children's Hospital. Having a child who received one of these dolls made this closer to my heart.



I also know how to color, so I did this project coloring a car map. The best thing is that I got to do these while watching/listening to classes.


Now, for one of the absolute best things about the conference. I went to the General Young Women's presidency's class about Virtue-which was so great. I'm not one to be starstruck by Hollywood, I couldn't care less about meeting any movie or music stars. BUT, there are people I would want to meet or even spend an evening with. Or, if not, just get a picture. I sat at the top of the Marriot Center, watching the Young Women's Presidency down on the floor. I was thinking how I would love a picture with them, but the thought made me so nervous. I decided this was probably my only chance, so I mustered up some courage and made my way down. I kept saying to myself, 'If she's still there when I get to the floor, I'll ask.' Well, she was. Sister Dalton was completely gracious, of course. She posed for the picture and told me to give her love to all of our young women. I almost cried. I didn't even mind that I look so dorky in the picture. I will treasure it always.




(Oh, and a HUGE thank you to my sister, Ellen, who let me stay with her. It was heavenly to be in a quiet house with my own bed and bathroom for two days. And, spending time with her was the icing on the cake. I don't get to see her nearly enough, so it made me very happy!)

5 comments:

Lia said...

I've only been once and I loved it. I'm glad you got a chance to go and to relax with your sister.

Mandy said...

No way! I love Sister Dalton and am so excited that you have a picture with her. I'm also glad you had a good time.

Michelle S said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I enjoyed spending some time with you too!

Sarah said...

LUCKY! I'm so going next year!!!

meegz said...

Now I'm even MORE Envious! I wanted to go this year -- needed it this year -- maybe next year.:)

So GLAD you had a great time!!