
Let me give you a little history. When I graduated from high school, we had lived in 17 different houses. That was made up of 8 moves from one city to another. Mostly, we moved in Idaho and Mesa, Arizona. I've been back to Mesa a few times, but it doesn't feel much like home to me. Maybe because it's such a big city and has changed so much (maybe because of the underworldly heat). But, after not visiting in 20 years, over the weekend, I went home.
We went to Idaho for 'Declo Days' their annual celebration, and for my mom's cousin reunion (she's related to half the town-literally).
Despite all my insecurities, I am sooo glad I went. I love the farmland. Driving down the roads with fields of alfalfa and potatoes rolling by. The air is clean and it's so open. A few things have changed, though.
The high school I went to is now the junior high and they have a new
school. This is the school I went to. One long hallway with about

8 or 10 classrooms along the hall. The gym was small, but when

we cheered for a home game, there wasn't an empty seat in the house. Declo Days hasn't changed much since 1981, there was food, performances from local artists and a raffle, oh, and the cheerleaders still run the dunk tank. I only ran into a couple people from high school, and they weren't even the ones I hung out with. It was fun to see them, tho' and funny how the years melt away all those 'clicks' and the importance of how much your dad makes.
One of the best parts was spending time with my sister, Heidi, and her best friend from school, Jolene. They never let me hang out with them in high school, so I felt this a special priveledge.



Here we are in 1981, Jolene, Heidi and me, the annoying little sister.
And here we are in 2009. Funny how life changes so much, but friendship remains. We drove up to see the new Twin Falls temple, then stayed up late talking and laughing. Being the nerdy sister, I went to bed before them. I'm sure they talked about me, oh well.
Really, this was a FABULOUS weekend. I have to mention the reunion, because that was fun, too. I don't know all my mom's cousins, but I enjoyed being there. It was so great that I have already decided I'll be going next year, it's Declo's centennial celebration and the reunion is going to be even bigger. Next year, we'll go earlier for the parade and hopefully, I'll see more of the people I know. This time, I'll take my kids. I really want them to see where I come from and the culture I grew up in. Plus, I want to show them off.
Thanks for all the comments, it made me feel good. And, by the way, Sarah, I can tell who's a size 2, Laurie Webb, that's who. Oh, well. She also looks alot older than me, so there is some justice. :)
6 comments:
Maybe she had some work done. j/k It sounds like you guys had alot of fun! Heidi said she had fun hangin out with you. I'm really looking forward to our girls weekend now.
I'm glad you had such a good time!
Glad it was fun. I think it's so funny how our photos change but sometimes our minds, our fears, our loves don't change. I find it interesting that when I spend time with my family -- I revert back to the emotions that I felt when I lived with my family (somewhat) Then when I'm here -- I am ME! Weird.
You made it through and it wasn't nearly as bad as you imagined it! Whew! Funny how all of our old insecurities and 'stuff' stored in the brain can hold us back from doing so many things. Excuse me while I weild a pick axe through mine...
I love that friendships can stay the same, even as we change and get older. sounds like you had a good time...I'm glad.
I'm glad you had a good time. It is fun to get away. I love your picture from 1981. Chelsea says it looks like Sadie.
Post a Comment