Have you ever thought that the world (especially Hollywood) could benefit from a few visits to Primary? Honestly, I think it would do them alot of good. There are some basic principles taught there that they could really learn from. Don't mean to get on a soap box, but after this morning, I feel the need to say something.
In the mornings, our television watching mostly consists of Nickelodeon and Noggin. But, in between shows, I'll turn on the news. I like the Today show and will watch it for a few minutes at at time. Now, I'm pretty sure the producers of the Today show know what time they're on and they must know that there are children in the house and awake when their show is on. Imagine my surprise, then, when they showed picutures from the new GQ magazine with Jennifer Aniston on the cover. She's beautiful, as always, she's also wearing a tie. Not suit and a tie, or even a shirt and a tie, just a tie. Hello. I live in a house full of boys (a couple of which are very much into puberty), I also have a 12 year-old daughter who is very impressionable. Thing is, it didn't end with the cover. They also showed the inside pictures, one she had on a shirt, unbuttoned, and then another one with the tie, but this one she was laying down and the tie wasn't doing much to cover her.
I think that's what's needed now, though. A return to some old-fashioned ideas. Things like, kindness, love for our neighbor, being clean in thought and word, oh, and modesty. It's hard enough trying to teach our children right from wrong without bombardments like this. I guess it's a sign of the times and it's not likely to get any easier. 


5 comments:
Darn it! Another television show down the tubes! Good thing I don't have time for much of anything anymore anyway - looks like I'm not missing much! I think it's perfectly perfect that you write something to the shows producers. We have boycotted Burger King for a very risque commercial and a recent Arby's commercial has now been added to our prudish list. Come on folks - it's food! Does it really need sex to sell it!?
Julie I have written letters to tv stations before for things that I believe are inappropriate to show. It is sad that we cannot turn on regular tv without feeling like we have to censor what is being shown on the regular stations.
But you are completely correct, these tv people could sit through a few CTR classes or YW/YM classes - maybe thry could learn a lot!
It's really sad that sex and money talk in our world. Sometimes I wish we could live in a bubble or at least keep our rose colored glasses on all the time. Too bad that to be a Mom you have to have your dukes up all the time. Go get that Today show! They deserve it!
I too saw that show...and was shocked they would show those pictures on early morning tv and was so disappointed in JA for lowering herself to pose for them...I'm so glad for the the addition to the YW Values...it's such a good thing!
AMEN!
Post a Comment