Monday, December 1, 2008

Can You Say Gross?

I don't know when my aversion to spiders began, but I have a couple of experiences that must've added to it.
One was when I was in jr. high. We lived in Arizona and one evening we were all in the living room when this huge, round, sort of flat spider ran out into the middle of the room. Someone hit it with a shoe. Hundreds of teeny, tiny spiders spilled out of the big one and scattered across the floor! My mom, (in her motherly wisdom) grabbed a can of bug spray and sprayed all the babies. Bluhhh. (That's me shuddering.)
{I would've put a picture on here, as you know I like putting pictures on my posts. BUT, spiders do not deserve to have thier pictures taken, let alone put on my blog. (My oldest, knowing my feelings had a yellow spider picture as his screen saver. Teenagers are wonderful.) The only place a picture of a spider belongs is in the dictionary under the words- disgusting, gross and icky.}
The next one was on my mission. My companion and I went to a members house one p-day. When we got to the front door, there was an enormous spider web on the doorframe. It started at the top of the door and ended at just below my shoulders. There was, of course, a giant spider on the web, working furiously, no doubt proud of her creation. We knocked on the door, carefully so as not to touch the web. The member, (who we'll call Ursula to protect the innocent and/or strange) answered and we said, "Get a broom or something to knock that down!" Oh, no, she told us it's beautiful, let's leave it there. Honestly, what did she think? That she could just leave it there forever and everyone would just duck under it? That's what we did, duck under it and go in. A couple hours later when we were ready to go, I had put the web out of my mind. Yep, you guessed it. I opened the door and walked right into it, face first! I immediately fell to the ground (in my dress, no less) and was screaming and batting at the sticky mess, sure that the humongous arachnid was somewhere on me. (She wasn't. She was probably watching me, wondering why I destroyed her new home. I'll tell you why, webs don't belong on houses. We were in North Carolina for heaven's sake. There are trees everywhere! What did you think you were going to catch on a house? A human? Congratulations, you caught me!)
So, now, I'm a responsible mother and wife. Spiders? I still don't do spiders. In our townhouse, we got lots of big, brown ones in the basement. One day there was one on the stairs. I found a mason jar and put it over the spider, trapping it. And left it until Guy got home. Have you ever squished a small bug? You know that sound it makes? Imagine the sound of smashing a big spider. No thank you!
Fast forward to last night. I was peacefully watching 'Return of the Jedi' (not my favorite of the series, but still a good one). I was sitting next to Guy, with Max on the other side, going to sleep. I had a blanket over me. Out of the corner of my eye, I think I see some movement on my blanket. I look down and there is this revolting spider climbing up. What is she thinking? That I want an eight-legged demon on my lap? I don't always want my dog on my lap and he's cute, furry and cuddly! I quickly weighed my options. I could flick it off, but then it might land on one of the kids (if it landed on Adam, that would've been justice). Also, it was creeping slowly on the blanket, if I knocked it off, it would go into running/attack mode and might get away, or come back for me. So, I simply said to my sweet, spider-killing spouse, "Could you get this 'thing' off me?!" He hesitated, obviously weighing the same options I had. Then, he bravely picked up the blanket and took the monstrosity into the kitchen where he disposed of it. YUCK! He tried to put the blanket back on me, "I don't want that now!" I'll be washing it today.
So, what's the point of this post? I don't know. Just wanted to share my revulsion with you. Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

meegz said...

I HATE them too!!! No experiences -- just hate.:)

Teddi said...

You're such a good author...changing names to protect the innocent! BWAH HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! I don't mind spiders so much...it's snakes I have a dreaded fear of but whatever the fear - I think it's healthy to have them! Enjoyed your post!

Lia said...

Oh spiders are creepy!! My kids know they're about the only thing that'll make me scream!! My imagination gets the worst of me when they get too close. I have a good spider story I'll have to tell you some time. Icky!! Thanks for the story, I enjoyed it.

Sarah said...

Sick! Glad it was you and not me.:)

~heidi said...

Hehe...I have many experiences with spiders, so I am there with you on your hate. My most memorable - I had blond hair, it is 5am and I am getting ready for school (teenager) - one of those blond colored spiders falls into my hair! Needless to say - I woke everyone up!