Sunday, December 7, 2008

Seventeen Years Grateful

I met Guy when we were both serving as missionaries in the Rochester, NY mission. Not a mission romance, he had a girlfriend who was very faithfully waiting at home and I had a 'sort-of' boyfriend. Anyway, after we both got home and got rid of the others, we started dating. We were engaged after about 2 months and married 3 months after that.

So,seventeen years ago today, we knelt across the temple alter and kissed for the first time as man and wife (not the first time ever, I wasn't that girl!). Look at that mischevious grin!! I think about that day and how innocent and naive we were about the future. But, that's the great thing about being young and in love. If you really knew what was in store, you'd probably run screaming in the other direction when anyone mentioned marriage. It all seems so wonderful and free. And it is, don't get me wrong. I Love being married. I couldn't have picked a more perfect man for me. (Sorry, babe, you're in here again.) He is kind and sweet and so incredibly considerate. He's the hardest worker I know. He's a great father and friend. And, somehow, after all the years, the tears, the ups and downs, it seems that he adores me. Go figure. That's ok, because I love him fiercely and don't know how I'd ever live without him. He grew up in a family so different than mine, which means alot of the ways he gives and recieves love are different,too. But, he has tried-and succeeded- to learn my ways. He gives me backrubs and buys me chocolate. He lets me nap when the kids are running chaotic and takes me on dates when we both need a break. (Which is often!)
To sum it up, today I am grateful for my marriage and my truly wonderful husband. An image of Eternity only looks good when he's there next to me.

10 comments:

meegz said...

Happy Anniversary! WOW -- you have had a whirlwind of a few weeks.:)

~heidi said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Deb said...

Happy Anniversary, but you don't look old enough to have been married that long!

Sarah said...

happy anniversary! i thought about you yesterday. 17 yrs! holy crap!

Teddi said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! I knew the 7th was important for something other than Pearl Harbor Day! You two are an example of enduring love and friendship - we'll never catch up but we can certainly follow in your footsteps! Thanks for blazing a great trail!

Lia said...

Happy Anniversary! That was a very sweet post.

Kim said...

Happy Late Anniversary! What a sweet post!

Kim said...

okay...I just read what Lia wrote and I promise I did not read that before I put in my post...that is too weird!

Piano Mom said...

What a wonderful tribute to your husband!

Jacque said...

Julie, you are too sweet to your husband! I need to take lessons. From a selfish standpoint, I am so glad you married Guy. I glad that you are so happy, you deserve it. Can't wait to see you all at the Christmas party.