Sunday, November 30, 2008

So Very Thankful

This has been a week of highs and lows, but always a time for thanksgiving. On Tuesday, I arrived at the airport to a scene I hope I never forget. There was my older sister, Heidi, standing in the middle of the airport, facing the escalators. She was 'dancing' from foot to foot, clasping and unclasping her hands. She saw us and said, "Her plane just landed." My other sister, Sarah, and I just laughed. We asked her if she slept at all, "I was up at 4," she told us "and 3 the day before." I was in charge of the video camera, so I zoomed in and watched as Amanda finally came down the escalator. My sister started walking, then when Amanda got the the bottom, Heidi broke into a run. I don't know how long they hugged, but no one complained. My sister has 4 girls and they are incredibly close. After mom, each of the sisters got a turn., then both of the dads. (My sister is remarried and the girls are very close to her husband, Jerry.)
I just stood there filming and cried. It was an amazing experience, one that truly reminded me of what our Heavenly homecoming may be like. Anxious parents waiting for their faithful children to come home again.
Mom and daughter.


The sisters, Lindsey, Amanda, Ashley & Rachel.
The low of the week was that on Tuesday morning, right before we went to the airport, my mom went to the hospital. She'd been sick for over a week and finally ended up in the ER. They discovered that she has bleeding ulcers and had lost 3 pints of blood. Scary times for all of us. She had a transfusion and happily was able to come home just in time for Thanksgiving dinner.
My gratitude post today is for my family. We spent almost the entire week together. You'd think we'd get sick of each other, but we don't. I'm so very, very, very grateful to my niece Amanda, for serving her mission. She is such an incredible example to my kids. It's been a huge blessing for us to pray for her everyday, (we'll miss that) and to talk about her and what she's been doing.
I'm also grateful for my mom. I think I take her for granted alot, but I don't know what I'd do without her. She taught me how to cook and sew and all the homemaking things I needed. She also has a strong testimony, and is a great example to me of how to live the gospel. Most of all, she has taught me the importance of being involved in your childrens' lives and how to raise kids who actually like each other and want to be together.
I am so greatly blessed. If you listen to the song I have on here, it's one of my favorites by Kenny Loggins. Every time I've heard it over the last few weeks, (yes, I've been listening to Christmas music since the day after Halloween), I've thought of Amanda and my family. It's called, "Celebrate Me Home"

Home for the holidays,
I believe Ive missed each and every face,
Come on and play my music,
Lets turn on the love light in the place
Its time I found myself,
Totally surrounded in your circles
Whoa, my friends
Please, celebrate me home

4 comments:

Lia said...

What a great Homecoming. Mom and daughter look sooo much alike! I'm sorry to hear about your mom, but glad she could be home for Thanksgiving.

meegz said...

So sorry to hear about your mom...I hope all continues to well for her.

Kim said...

This post brought tears to my eyes...you are such a talented writer, Julie...I always love reading your blog. I hope your mom continues to get better...I know how close you are.

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.