"To get back to my youth, I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable." -Oscar Wilde
Yesterday, I was asked to rate my body image on a scale of 1-10. Ha. Is that a trick question?? It didn't help that the girl asking me was a personal trainer and obviously, her image is a full 9 points above mine. I went to meet with her, because with my new gym membership, I get 5 training sessions. I wasn't surprised that she was thin, (of course) and young (of course). I was a little surprised with her nose 'earring' and her lip ring and her tongue stud. (Do you know how hard it is to not look at something like that when you're talking to someone? I kept thinking, where would I normally look? I couldn't remember.) So, it made think of being that young and how differently I felt about myself.
Last Friday, I had lunch with my friend, Lynette. We haven't seen each other in about 12 years. We first met when we were both nannies in Washington D.C. We had another friend and the three of us were inseperable. We were talking about how it just isn't possible that we have children who are this old. Her oldest is a senior and mine is going to be driving and dating age in a mere 3 weeks. Uck, gag, choke.

Here is a picture of us. See our smiles, that's because we have no idea that when we talked about 'old' people, we would someday become one!
That was back when I was young and pliable. Seriously, I think one of the worst offenders of getting older is the skin. It used to be soft and smooth and tight. That was when it had elastisity. Have you ever had a pair of sweats for a really long time and the elastic in the waist is shot? Yeah, that's me, just all over. Where once it was lithe and perky, we have sags and stretch marks. (OK, a word on those. My husband says they're an honor badge for having born him seven, very large children. I say, bull. If you want me to have an honor badge, then make me a badge that says 'Honorable Mother of Seven Large Children'. The stretch marks are ugly!) Where once my face was firm and smooth, I have pores the size of moon craters and, must I say it, wrinkles.
I miss those days, when I could stay up till all hours and still get up in the morning and go to work or school. Nap, who needs a nap? I had energy! And a metabolism. The only thing about chocolate that worried me was if it would make me break out. I miss having few worries or stresses. Of course, I wouldn't trade that for what I have now. I love my family and am happy with the journey of life that I've traveled. And, heaven knows, I wouldn't want to have to go through it all again. I'd just like my 20 year-old body back. I'd appreciate it so much more now. I had no idea what a good thing I had. Now, I'm just an old pair of sweats that belong in the back of the closet. Oh, sure, those sweats are comfy and familiar, but you wouldn't be caught dead in them in public!



7 comments:
Oh, Julie...whatever! You are so pretty! You have thee most beautiful skin...I'll trade you! YOu can have have my old wrinkled, freckled, age spotted skin with the tiny spider vanes...and I'll have yours!
Loved reading this by the way...you are so funny.
"the older I get, the better I looked"
Sooo true for me.:) I say, we get healthy, stay healthy and be happy.
Easier said than done, I know!!!:)
I promise I am not a stocker. I just like checking out people's blogs. I just have to tell how many times I have seen you and thought you were so pretty.
Good for you going to the gym, that's where I need to be 24/7. I often think how much I would love my 20 year old body back to. I would enjoy it more now as well, the problem was I thought I was gigantic at 20 years. Who knows what I would have done if I knew what 35 would bring. I think you look great. It was fun to see you last week, we need to get together soon. It will probably end up being our fun family Christmas party huh?
Someone once told me that you know that you have given up on life when you go out in public in sweats. I prefer to think of it as comfortably enjoying life.
I'd trade my 40's for my 20's any day! You know we look way better now than then - it's all in the eyes (experience makes us twinkle!) Forget about the wrinkles, just think how incredibly 'knowledgeable' and experienced we are compared to 20-30 year olds! I wouldn't trade it either and sadly my body now is better than then - stretch marks, sagginess and all! (I just wish I'd gotten healthy back then!)
Post a Comment