I've been very touched this week by some blogs I've been reading. (Call me a blog stalker, I don't mind. It's true.) You may think me morbid, but I've been reading about some people with serious physical ailments. It's not about their problems, though. I feel compelled to read them because of the way these people inspire me. We all say, when we see others suffering, "I could never get through that." But, we underestimate ourselves. I'm sure the people going through it would've said the same thing. It has made me realize that the trial is not just in getting through it. So much of the true test is how we respond to it.
Case in point, the three blogs I've been following. The first is my friend, Jeanel. She has 2 kinds of cancer. She has a husband and three little boys. She also has the most amazing attitude. She never blogs without expressing her gratitude for something. The fact that she can go through chemo, radiation and a host of other nasty treatments and still feel thankful is incredible. She never complains, but expresses her appreciation for all that others do for her.
The second blog belongs to my cousin's wife's brother. (Like I said, blog stalking.) Jason has a bunch of health problems caused by a botched surgery. (Health problems is putting it lightly.) All you have to do is see the name of his blog-'jasons life is good', or the title of it-'It's All About Perspective' to know what an extrordinary person he is. I've never known anyone with such a positive attitude about everything. He's even positive about what has happened to him. Like Jeanel, he doesn't complain, and believe me, he has alot to complain about.
The third blog is the most heart-wrenching. It's by a woman whose 2 year-old daughter Tuesday had cancer. I say had because Tuesday died last week. What touched me about this story was the faith this mom has. She constantly asks for prayers and thanks those who have prayed for their family. She demonstrates so much faith in our Father in Heaven and even at the end, she asked for prayers of God's grace as she said good-bye to her sweet little girl.
This has all brought me to the conclusion that as we walk this tenuous tight-rope we call life, it is so important to have something to hang on to. The image of the iron rod comes to mind. Our journey is troubled and treacherous. We have the mists of darkness swirling around us. Whether those mists are physical problems, stress, money problems or sin, there is a way for us to get through them. Even when it seems so dark that we cannot see our way, the iron rod is there. Hold on, have faith, be obedient, be positive, be grateful (hmm, didn't some very inspired man have a few 'Be's' for us?). We don't know what life is going to bring, we can only prepare ourselves by getting a good grip on the iron rod now, so that when those mists start rising around our feet, we are already on the right path with a strong hold on the things that will get us through. We've been promised that "I will also be your light in the wilderness: and I will prepare the way before you," all we have to do is be worthy of it. Be worthy and hold on.
"The message of this moment is so clear and as certain as the rising of the sun,
If your world is filled with darkeness doubt and fear, just hold on, hold on, the light will come,
Everyone who's ever tried and failed stands much taller when the victory is won,
Those who've been in darkness for a while, kneel much longer when the light has come,
It's a lesson everyone of us must learn, that the answers never come without a fight,
And when it sems you've struggled far too long, just hold on, hold on, there will be Light."
(Hold On the Light Will Come- Michael McLean)




1 comment:
All 3 very sad but, very inspiring. So true that the Lord blesses us to get through things!
Post a Comment