Monday, March 30, 2009

Grateful for Relief Society

I love Relief Society. It's not the organization so much as the sisterhood. What a blessing to have a group of women who love and support you, who share in your joys and sorrows. As a woman, I am so grateful to have the Relief Society. As a man, my husband is grateful, too. He recognizes my need to have the association of other women. In fact, he's a bit jealous. He's seen the bond that we have. Not that men aren't great, but it's just not the same. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father reminds me every now and then how truly blessed I am to have these women, you women in my life.
A couple weeks ago, we had our RS birthday party and dinner. I was asked, along with several other women, to share something about Relief Society. (Specifically, I was to tell how Relief Society means integrity.) As I prayed about what to share, (integrity?), I kept having one experience come to mind. I didn't think it was a big deal and wasn't sure I wanted to tell that. But, the feeling remained, so I did. Here's what I shared.
I believe that part of what integrity means it to do what you are asked or what you have committed to do. Relief Society presidents have a difficult job, being responisble for the welfare of all these other women. I had a president years ago who did this job especially well. Lara really went above and beyond when it came to her calling. While she was the president, we were going through a difficult finacial struggle. There was one evening when I had made potato soup for dinner. I make it all the time, it's one of the few meals that everyone likes. Well, this night, I scorched it. I'd never done this before, or since. I was standing in my kitchen, unsure of what to do. There was a knock on my front door, and when I opened it, there was Lara. She handed me a pizza. No explanation that I can recall, she didn't even wait for me to tell her if there was a reason for the pizza. Now, we all get inspiration, but how often do we pass it off as our own thoughts? I know I have. I wonder if I was walking through Wal-Mart and got the thought to buy a pizza for someone, would I do it? After this experience, I would. I felt like this was such a great example of someone doing what they are called to do.
I shared this and had several people thank me for sharing it. OK, I thought I had chosen the right experience. Well, then an interesting thing happened. A couple days after our birthday dinner, I was at our YW president's house for a presidency meeting. We were talking about this experience and Mandy (president) said, "Maybe you scorched the soup so Heavenly Father could show you that He's aware of you and what you need."
Oh. Wow.
And, maybe He wanted me to share this experience so He could teach me what I'd missed all along. How can we doubt that He'll be there for us during times of trial and heartache, if He's there when we need something as small as a pizza to feed our family.
I am so grateful for Relief Society. For the women who act as His hands in blessing me, whether it's by bringing me dinner, or giving me insight that I sorely need. Angels without wings, that's what you are.

1 comment:

Lia said...

Amen to that blog!! Had a similar experience with Lara myself. She was a great example to all of us and I/we that were there during that period of time will all be different people because of her example, the instrument she was willing to be in his hands.