I can't believe it happened. I swore it never would. I just don't know what to do now. I wish I could take it back, but once it's out there, you can't erase it. What?? Over the weekend, my husband and I were talking about our kids (unavoidable). I don't even remember the topic, but he said something about Jacob, my 14 year-old, and his music. Then, I said it. (Oh, I want to hide.)
I said, "It's not music, it's just noise." NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I might as well have said it in my dad's voice, it was exactly what he said when I was a teenager. It makes me want to cry. You know what it means, don't you? It's not like I didn't already know, but I hate it when I get new reminders. Reminding me of what? Oh, like you didn't know. I'm old.
Music is a tell-tale sign of becoming 'middle age'. When you talk about a musician to younger kids and they say something like, "Donny and Marie who?" You know it. Thing is, music is so important to growing up. I remember listening to my parents' records (the thing we used to have before tapes and cd's-you do remember tapes, don't you?). I have a real sentimental attatchment to Engelbert Humperdink (yes, that's a real person) and Eddy Arnold. Then, there was the Carpenters. Oh, don't you love Karen's voice? I always loved singing along to her because she's an alto, and I didn't have to fake the high notes.
I was a teenager in the 80's and man, we had great music! Journey, Foreigner, Styx and this guy:
before he was really weird. I went to see 'Footloose' in the theater, even hid in the bathroom with my friends so we could watch it again. Kevin Bacon, wow. Come to my high school, Kevin, I'll dance with you! But, all this stuff that we thought was so great, my parents thought was crap. As for saying what I did, it's actually not the first time. I find myself repeating my parents often. Does it mean I'm old, or that they were right?? Hmmmm.



4 comments:
What a fun post. I totally understand. I love love love Karen Carpenter, I have some of her CDs, but they myteriously can't be found. I think the family hides them from me. No matter I can sing them to my hearts content (and the childrens pain and agony)! I remember watching Footloose and thinking it was the coolest. I love Journey still and hello who didn't see Dirty Dancing and think it was awesome! I'd never let my kids watch that movie!!
almost all music can grow on you -- i did say ALMOST...:) --I'm not sure what it means....just don't say "noise" to them. Don't let on that you sound like your Dad.:)
Loved the post!
You're so funny! I liked this post. I don't think you're old...maybe because you're my sister. :)
So true! I remember telling myself when I was a teenager that I would never "get old" and loose contact with the music of the time as my parents had! What a joke! I"m still stuck in the 60's and
70's as far as music taste goes. My kids and granddaughters think I am ancient and historic--makes me feel like a dinosaur.
Post a Comment