I like the fact that Easter isn't commercialized like Christmas. I don't have to fight lines in the store to buy the perfect Easter present. My kids aren't glued to the TV, mesmerized by all the Easter commercials. No letters to the Easter bunny filled with wish lists. We've never made a big deal about Easter. My kids get baskets and color eggs, they just know that it's from us. We didn't tell them there wasn't an Easter bunny, we just didn't tell them there was, and they figured it out on their own. We had a family home evening about Christ and the resurrection last week, then on Saturday, they got their baskets and got to hunt for eggs. We went to church on Sunday, (wonderful talks!) and then went to my parents' house for dinner. Sigh, another holiday down.
Max's friend came over today to play. They played here for a while, then left to go to the friend's house. Max came running back in the house. "He got a new bike from the Easter bunny. I didn't get anything!"
So much for my perfect Easter. I know that material things aren't important and they can't buy happiness. Tell that to a five year-old.




4 comments:
A bike??? That's so silly! I was recently shocked to find out that some kids get more than a buck from "the tooth fairy"...what the heck???
Ya, my kids get an Easter outfit and an eater egg hunt. That's it. Oh wait, this year I did find the softest cuddley teddy bears that I put in their baskets. I know, I spoil them.
Yea, Sam came home from school to inform me about everything his friends got in their baskets. All he got was candy poor creature! lol ~Rebekah
Our kids got nothing but boiled eggs -- recognizably we went on vacation -- but still, they never get anything more. They get three gifts for Christmas. This way the expectation is WAY low and they are STILL SPOILED!:) This might be horrible but we always tell them "we're not a greedy family so we dont' ask Santa for more or worry about what we get from the tooth fairy or Easter bunny. It makes them feel better to realize that they shouldn't be greedy.;)
Ask Mandy about this -- she seems to have it down.
Post a Comment