Thursday, April 23, 2009

Grandparents and gardens


My grandparents were great gardeners. I'm sure it had a lot to do with when they lived. They always had a garden that I can remember. Vegetables and fruits and my gram's gorgeous flowers. I wish I had inherited their green thumbs. I always have big plans, but the most I've ever planted is flowers, and here in Layton, I haven't even been able to do that. (Anyone know how to get rid of those roly-poly bugs? We have an infestation that kills all the flowers I plant.)

Anyway, there were many things that I loved about going to my grandparents' house. But, in the summertime, I loved the garden. Being allowed to go outside, pick a big, ripe tomato off the vine and eat it all myself was such a treat. Then, there were the strawberries. She would go with us out to the garden and we would pick berries. I remember her showing us how to look under the leaves to find them. Then, we would take them into the house and she would wash them, put them in a bowl, sprinkle sugar on top-ah, the most wonderful thing. To this day, whenever I eat fresh strawberries, I think of my grandma.

My parents usually had a garden, as well. I hated having to work in the garden. Pulling weeds-ugh! Of course, I was a kid and didn't understand the importance of it. I'm hoping to have a garden this year. I'm starting small-tomatoes, maybe some peppers, definitely flowers if I can get rid of those bugs. My grandparents and my parents are great gardening examples to me, so I'm trying to honor them by following that example. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

3 comments:

Lia said...

Good luck, hope it goes well!

meegz said...

we're trying a garden this year too --- we'll have to cheer each other on.

Teddi said...

Good luck - this is our 3rd year gardening. We've had pretty good success and since Arizona was never a 'gardening' place if I get a small crop of anything I'm thrilled! Nothing tastes as good as home grown! I look forward to seeing and hearing about the fruits of your labors.