
We made it. It's here at long last. Really? We knew it would get here. As an adult, the Christmas season speeds by at light speed. Wasn't it just yesterday that they started playing Christmas songs on the radio while I put the jack-o-lanterns in the garbage?? I always say I'm going to make the most of the season and do new things to really enjoy it. Then, suddenly it's Christmas eve and all my good intentions are with the rotten jack-o-lanterns. Remember when we were kids and the Christmas season dragged on? I'm sure it's the same for my kids. It doesn't help that we (meaning the whole world, especially the media) hype it up the whole time. With Christmas shows on TV and programs and parties at school, songs on the radio, decorating the tree, going to see Santa, buying gifts, wrapping gifts, making treats- it's a wonder they don't have high blood pressure! But, it gets here and all the waiting pays off.
It was so much simpler when I was a kid. We waited impatiently for those Christmas programs on TV. None of this cartoons everyday with Spongebob or Yo Gabba Christmas specials. We had the classics and we never missed them. We decorated a real tree with glass ornaments that you had to be very careful with. Never failed, each year there would be one that didn't last in it's
flimsy box. We painted our front window with spray snow and put tinsel on the tree, clumps and all. We went carolling. My mom made all kinds of candy from scratch, fudge, divinity, cream candy and carmels that could break your teeth. We loved it all! We went to see Santa and refused to sit on his lap, can you blame us? Some big guy we don't know with a bad, fake beard.
Then, finally, it happened-Christmas Eve. This was the day filled with magic. Only 24 hours to go. I can still feel the butterflies in my stomach as I anticipated the coming day. Sometimes we would go to grandma's, or we'd stay home. But, we always sat around the tree that night and dad would read the Christmas story from the Bible and we would act it out, with towels and bathrobes as costumes. We'd turn out all the lights, except the tree and sing carols. Then, they'd send us to bed where we thought we'd never sleep.
I still love Christmas eve, we go to my parent's house and have a big dinner, then play "Pass the present". Dad still reads the story and the kids still act it out. Then, we sing, my favorite part. I like Christmas day, watching my kids open their loot, but for me, Christmas eve is where it's at. Surrounded by my family, talking, laughing, eating. I can forget that I didn't get my cards out (again), that I didn't have enough money(again), and I can focus on the real meaning of the season-being with the ones I love and remembering my Savior.
#332
6 years ago




4 comments:
Perfectly put as usual! I love waxing nostalgic and hope that someday our kids have fond memories of the things we DO end up pulling off every year! Merry Christmas my friend!
Spray snow - YAH, good times and good memories! Merry Christmas Julie!
I remember we had a little aluminum tree! My mom was single and we couldn't afford much of anything, but we never seemed to mind.
Merry Christmas (late)!
Thanks sooo much for your gift. We LOVED it. It added to our Christmas Eve.
Post a Comment