(I apologize if you are tired of reading about my family. I thought this would be a nice way to send them personalized Valentine's. The great thing about blogs is, you don't have to read if you don't want to. So, you can 'click' me off, or if you want to hear more of my ramblings, read on.)
Ah, my sisters. I don't know what I'd do without them. Let's start with the youngest first- Sarah. She was born when I was 15. I don't know how it looked to other people, my mom having her 7th baby when her oldest was a senior in high school, I only know that we were thrilled. We always knew she would be a girl and that her name would be Sarah. Our relationship started differently because I cared for her, fed her and changed her diapers. I taught her about popular music at the age of 3, (Ellen helped), she could recognize Wham! on the radio and knew their names. (Oh, I'm so old!) Then, later, she bacame my babysitter and my kids loved 'Ya-ya'. It wasn't until she got married and had a baby that our relationship really changed. She became my peer, instead of the little sister. I love that. We were pregnant together and now our kids love to play together. She lives in West Haven, just 15 minutes away, so I see her more than any of my other siblings. There's nothing better than hanging out and eating Cafe Rio salads. She's a fantastic mother, much more patient and disciplined than I've ever been.
Then, there's Ellen. We are just 20 months apart. Because there are three girls, so close in age, as we grew up, we fought, alot. And, it was always 2 against one, tho' the sides changed alot. But, when Heidi got married and moved out, the tension of having 2-1 was gone, and Ellen and I became great friends. We hung out at school and were in the 'Wallflower Club' together, (where we would have parties on the nights of the school dances we hadn't been invited to.) Ellen is so much of what I wish I were. She's athletic, played basketball in high school and college. She's also musically talented. She plays the clarinet and saxaphone. She's very driven and self-disciplined. (You are the wind beneath my wings.) My kids love Aunt Ellen and we don't see her nearly enough.
Last, but not least, is Heidi. We had a very volitile relationship growing up. She teased me alot, but I'm sure I deserved alot of it- I was the bratty little sister. I envied her and her friends and how grown up she was. I have to mention her favorite story about me. She convinced me that she was possessed (don't know how, other than to tell me she was) then she chased me around the house with a butcher knife. Out of desparation, I grabbed a Book of Mormon, I think, and started singing the only song I could think of- "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet", (you try to face down a demon-possessed sister and try to think of a song, it's the first thing that came to mind!). Of course, she collapsed in laughter. We're all grown up now and past those silly escapades, well, mostly. She has five beautiful daughters and the most amazing relationship with them. I would be like her if I could. She's the most wonderful mother. She's also the glue that holds the siblings together. It's so interesting the way she has relationships with all of us, each one very unique. I think we all depend on her, and she never lets us down.
I'm so blessed to have these women in my life. They are my example, my best friends and my rock that keeps me standing.



3 comments:
You are way tooooo nice! I love our relationship!!! I love that even though you're older, were still friends. I love that the 4 of us love to be together. I love us!!!
by the way...Heidi has 4 girls not 3.
That was lovely.
What a lovely tribute to your sisters...I love that!! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment