Friday, September 12, 2008

Finish! Terminar! Finir! Bitirmek! Done!

So, to start this I have to give a little background for those who don't know- Three years ago, I started writing a book. I haven't told alot of people about my book, out of worry. What if people think I'm bragging? What if I tell them, then it doesn't get published? What if they read it and think it stinks????? But, I decided to share, because I share everything else about my life on this blog. And, I can use all the good thoughts and prayers that I can get.
.
It took me more than 2 years to finish it, but in May of 2007, I submitted it to a publisher. After waiting, and waiting, and waiting, I finally found out that they liked it, but wanted some revisions done, then I could resubmit it. I was a little bummed at first, because I felt like I had been rejected. After thinking about it, tho', I realized this was a good thing, (being invited to resubmit it). They hadn't rejected me after all.

.

But, then I was faced with the task of rewriting. The publisher gave me some very specific guidelines on what they wanted to see changed. One of these was a major change to a plot line. I wasn't sure how long this would take, and as I said in my earlier blog, I needed to work on this, but didn't want to. In addition to the changes, I had a major roadblock in getting the book from my old computer to my new one. During this process, which is too long to describe, the spacing on the entire 196 pages got screwed up and I had to fix the line spacing, as well as the spacing after each sentence. I started making myself sit at the computer, ignore the blogs that were beckoning me, and work on my book. Then, on Wedsnesday evening, I finished it! I can't even begin to describe what a weight that took off my shoulders! This morning, I sent it off. (fingers crossed!)

.

I learned some things during my rewrite-


  1. Constructive critisism is only constructive if you take it that way.

  2. Something that seems tedious, (fixing the spacing) can turn out to be a blessing in disguise. (It made me read the whole thing, very slowly.)

  3. I need a computer chair. The dining chair I use is not made for sitting for hours. My butt and back are still sore.

  4. Heavenly Father puts people in our way that will answer those frustrated prayers. (Randilyn, talking to you at midnight literally saved me.)

  5. Optimsim. Pres. Hinckley says it best: "We have every reason to be optimistic in this world. Tragedy is around, yes. Problems everywhere, yes... You can't, you don't, build out of pessimism or cynisism. You look with optimism, work with faith, and things happen."
I have done the work, now I wait with faith and optimism that good things will happen. :)

9 comments:

Lia said...

SO TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!! Congratulations on getting your book done! My moms a writer, my sister-in-law is a writer, and you're living the dream. You go for it full gusto girl!! I've OFTEN wondered if I could write a book. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to put distractions out of your head so that you could write. AND you did it before all the kids were in school! I'm so happy for you. Keep us updated. I'll buy a copy for sure!

Deb said...

I would love to read a book that you had written, just as I love reading your blog. You definately have the writing talent. Congrats on finishing it.

meegz said...

I'm VERY happy for you! I felt my shoulders relax as you said you felt a weight off your shoulders. That is SUCH a great feeling!:)

Glad you can recognize the Lord's hand in our friendships around here -- I know I do!

Thanks for who you are. Can't wait to read the published book(optimism!)

Sarah said...

I know I didn't read alot today on your revision, but trust me, I'd read it over again and LOVE it! You are very gifted.

Teddi said...

Congratulations on finishing a daunting task! I will be happily including your publishing efforts in my prayers and anxiously awaiting the day I can read it for myself and say..."I Knew Julie when...!" :D hugs!

Jacque said...

I'm so proud of you. I found out from your Aunt Elaine the other day that you had written one. I had no idea. You are an amazing writer. I will keep you in my prayers. I would love to read the book published or not. I need to call you, I miss talking with you.

Kim said...

That is so awesome Julie...you are such an inspiration to me.

~heidi said...

Congratulations on being done! What an awesome feeling that is! Now you need to treat yourself to a new chair for all of your hard work :)

RandiLyn said...

Julie: I am proud of you...congrats! I love having you on our ward, neighborhood, and circle of friends. You are a good example of motherhood, and womanhood. You have inspired me to be better, and have been a "listening ear"-- I appreciate our friendship...keep writing:-)
RandiLyn