Thursday, May 29, 2008

Family- the ties that bind and strangle.

I considered changing the title of my blog, since it's more about me than my family. As I considered this, I realized that the line that separates me from my family is so paper thin that it is mostly invisible. Some people are defined by their careers or by what or who they know. I am defined by my family.

My children and husband are the reason I get up each day. My thoughts are consumed by them about 95% of the time. I worry over them, plan for them and stress over them all day and sometimes through the night. Only love could develop this kind of obsessive-compulsive behavior. If they weren't mine, I'd be considered a stalker.

I am also blessed to have an incredible family that I grew up in. I have three sisters and three brothers. We are very close to each other and my parents. I'm not sure how they did it, but, my parents managed to raise 7 children who honestly like each other and choose to spend time together. We have our disfunctional moments, none of us is perfect, (no, Heidi, not even you!), but we all do our best. We love to get together and laugh and talk and eat. One of our favorite things is the "do you remember?" game. Like-

Heidi- "Do you remember when I pretended I was posessed by the devil and chased you around with a knife?"
Me- "Yes, yes. And I held up a song book (the only church item I could find at the time) and sang 'We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet.'" (The only church song I could think of while under the stress of thinking my 15 year-old sister was the spawn of Satan.)
This is her favorite story about me. I have so many about her, I don't know which is my favorite. You'd think with the checkered past that she has, that she wouldn't be so eager to tease me with this.

Anyway, this sort of gives you an idea of our family dynamic. I hope that I'm raising my children to have the same love for each other, so that someday, when they are grown and past the fighting and bickering stage, they will want to spend time together. Then we can play the "do you remember" game with them. Like-

Sadie- "Do you remember that time you got in so much trouble?"
Adam- "Um, which one?"
Jacob-" I think she means the time we called Mom and Dad three times when they were watching the new Indiana Jones movie."
Adam- "Oh, yeah. I remember that one."

So, I'm not changing the name of my blog. Because, my blog, like my life, is all about my family.

3 comments:

Teddi said...

As a family member of 7 - I can attest to the fact that it can be the greatest thing that ever happens to a person! Once we're all grown up that is! I only hope that someday my kids will also be able to sit down and reminisce with fondness and laughter instead of poking, slapping and tattletaling! Gives me lots to look forward to!

Sarah said...

LOL! I couldn't help but laugh, I'm still laughing. I love our family. I hope your kids love each other like we do ourselves-too. You're an amazing sister and I'm so grateful were friends!!!

Kim said...

I as well often hope my kids will grow up and love each other and be much kinder to each other than they are now. My sister used to sit on my stomach while holding down my arms and then stand up and sit down hard till I peed my pants when we were teenagers. I'm sure I deserved this after all the torment I caused when we were younger....Only family can forgive such things and grow up and love each other. I loved reading about your family.