Monday, May 5, 2008

Memories of Grandma




My grandma, Julia, died three years ago. She was almost 87 and had been without my grandpa for almost 20 years. She was ready to go, and we were ready to let her go. I think about her often, but when I came across this picture this morning, it made me miss her like crazy.
I was named for her, by my grandfather. (My dad was on a hunting trip when I was born.) I've always cherished that. (Not the hunting trip.) Grandma, or Gram as we called her, lived with my parents in an apartment in their basement. When my kids were little they called her "the grandma in the basement". Having her live with my parents gave me and my siblings a unique opportunity to get to know her and spend a lot of time with her.

Grandma loved her grandkids and always had some kind of treat for them in her cupboard. She loved to tease and was very supportive of all of us in our activities. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind, and never apologized for it. She had a great sense of style and loved the finer things in life, which my grandfather indulged when he was alive.

She was a great example of gospel living. She couldn't go to the temple the last couple years of her life, yet, she always had a recommend. One of the things I am most grateful for was the relationship she had with my grandpa. They were very close, did everything together and loved their family. I can't imagine what those last 20 years must've been like without him. She missed him terribly. I wrote a poem for her once about this, which she liked alot. I'm sharing it with you in her memory today. Love you , Gram.

Darrell
I watched as you passed,
From this life to the next,
I sat all alone,
Emptiness filling my chest.
I've waited these years,
Forever, it seems,
To see you again,
But, it's just in my dreams.
What are you doing?
I wonder each day,
Are you busy and happy,
While you've been away?
I've prayed and I've pleaded,
An ocean I've cried,
For one small request,
To be at your side.
Do you think of me often?
Do you know of my pain?
Do you hurt with the wish,
To be with me again?
This life's but a moment,
A small speck in time,
And I know that forever,
You will be mine.
So, days, oh, please hurry,
Clocks don't run slow,
I'm ready for my turn,
Come get me , I'll go.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Julie..you have so much talent! I love your poems. I have one you gave me in a card once and it's so beautiful. I too understand your feeling about your sweet grandma...I miss mine terribly at times. I can't wait to get one of her famous hugs.

Sarah said...

Thanks for making me cry! I miss grandma, even more seeing those pictures. And you do have an amazing talent! I love you.